Town of Windsor Coat of Arms
The Windsor Coat of Arms is a heraldic Blazon. Elements of its design symbolize the rich agricultural lands and early education at Kings College. The castle commemorates the original Windsor, and the early military associations of the Town with Fort Edward and its garrison.
This is the Town Crest explanation from the 1985 Town of Windsor Information manual:
The entire coat of arms is referred to as an achievement and includes the Shield, surmounted by a Knight's tournament helmet. A wreath of “vert” (green) and “or” (gold) provides for the base of the Crest.
The mantling or lambrequin, originally a sort of cloak, generally shown as slashed and wind-blown, is dependent from the wreath. The only part which should be referred to as the crest is the head, wearing the helmet of Athena which is coloured gold.
The motto is shown on a scroll below the shield, E TERRA ABUNDANTIA, signifying an abundant eastern land.
The scheme of the design of the coat of arms was derived from elements of the badge adopted some time after the incorporation of the Town in 1878, a period when the art of heraldry was at a very low ebb. The CORNUCOPIA, a food filled horn symbolizing agricultural abundance and Athena, Goddess of Wisdom and patron of education were both meaningful due to the rich agricultural lands and the early foundation of King's College, as well as the continuity of the school system in the Windsor area.
The castle was introduced to commemorate the original Windsor and also refers to the early military associations of the Town with Fort Edward and its garrison. The choice of colours emphasized the verdant green and the surrounding areas of gypsum which have been so important to the prosperity of the Town.